Try It! Transportation Options
Winona bicycle trails are shown in red on the map
Major Winona area bicycle loops are indicated on the map. They include the Levee Park-Prairie
Island Loop, which includes a connection to La Canne Park in Goodview; the Lake Winona Path;
the Highway 43-Gilmore Valley Loop; the Garvin Heights Challenge; and the Holzinger Lodge
Mountain bike trails.
In a region known for for great cycling there are many reasons to consider biking as a
transportation option. We will be working with employers and retail businesses to provide
bicycle racks, lockers, showers and other conveniences to make bicyling easier. A bicycle
committee is also working to provide trail extensions providing bike access to surrounding
communities and other regional trails.
Biking in much of Winona is extremely easy. Please remember to keep bikes off sidewalks,
and follow these bicycle safety and courtesy hints:
- Always wear a helmet
- Follow the rules of the road and trail.
- Stop at stop signs and stop lights.
- Use hand signals to indicate your intention to turn
- Keep right
- Ride single file
- Announce your intention to pass another rider
- Use a white headlight and a red taillight or reflector for night riding
- Keep your bicycle in good repair
- Yield to motor vehicles and pedestrians
- Ride predictably and defensively.
The Winona Area bicycle community is actively working on plans to expand our trail system. The map
below indicates the location of existing and proposed bicycle trails.